Freedom is not the right to do what we want, but what we ought. Let us have faith that right makes might and in that faith let us; to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.
~ Abraham Lincoln (Final statement, Cooper Union speech)
For our wonderful democracy to work, we all need to be informed and active in the democratic process. If the United States is to be a democratic “beacon” to the world, a good model of healthy democracy to others, then everyone must “walk the talk” by being engaged in our civic life. The greater the number of people involved in our civic life, the more “exceptional” we will truly be.
This path will have posts concerning civic responsibility. The major responsibility of a citizen is to be an informed voter. There are civic values which need fostering: understanding the branches of our government, education concerning policy issues, collaboration, respect for individuals’ opinions, fairness, honest and informative debate of issues, and avoidance of extremism. Another civic value, as personified in Abraham Lincoln: courage.
My articles will reflect my political convictions, but I invite civil and honest debate.
- What Lies Between Absolute Ideology and Real Politik: The Common Ground and Common Morality of Common Humanity
- The Constitutionality of the Affordable Health Care Law Upheld by the U. S. Supreme Court
- Mitt Romney ~ Mr. Opaque
- “From the Middle Out,” & Then “Forward!”
- Can We Please Have a Sensible Discussion About Gun Control?
- International Pander-Ball
- Opening of the South Montgomery County, Ohio Office ~ Obama For America
- Introduction to Dashboard OFA ~ Online Organizing Network for Obama For America
- Utopian Dreams ~ Ayn Rand, John Calvin & the Conservative Right
- Forward ~ Four More Years With Obama, Our Forward-Looking President
- Romney Irresponsibly Inserts Himself Into a Serious International Situation ~ Is Drowning in His Own Incompetence
- President Obama on Dashboard speaking to OFA Volunteers ~ Evening of September 12th, 2012
- Voter Suppression ~ Presentation given at OFA Team Centerville Office on Sunday, September 16, 2012
- Obama Wins a Second Term!!!