Dr. Marie Downing Romine (b. 1848) was one of the five children of Jacob Downing (1807-1862) and Jane Underwood Downing (1813-1907). Towards the end of the Civil War, after Jacob Downing died in Pennsylvania, Jane Underwood Downing brought her family of five children to the Harveysburg area. Her sister was Matilda Downing Underwood, a respected Quaker minister of Grove Meeting in Harveysburg.
Marie taught school and by making friends with the local roughnecks, she won their cooperation. She married a farmer, Jesse Romine, near Harveysburg. Marie always wanted to be a doctor but never had the opportunity. Unable to have children, they adopted one of her sister Rebecca’s girls, hoping that she would be willing to go to medical school. Unfortunately, the girl was not interested in becoming a doctor.
Marie’s husband finally persuaded Marie to fulfill her own dream. She graduated in 1896 from the Cincinnati School of Medicine. and was the first woman doctor licensed to practice medicine in Ohio. Her practice was in Harveysburg and the surrounding area. The family thought of Dr. Mary L. Cook of Waynesville as Dr. Marie Romine’s “convert” to medicine. Mary worked in Dr. Marie’s office while she attended high school in Harveysburg.
According to her great great granddaughter, Maria’s adopted daughter married James Schumaker. They had two sons and one stayed in Harveysburg and farmed and one that moved to California and played piano for the silent films.