William Harvey, the founder of Harveysburg, Ohio was born on December 27th, 1797 in Orange County, North Carolina and died on December 15th, 1866 in Harveysburg, Ohio. He was the fifth child of Isaac and Lydia Dicks Harvey. William and Mary Crew Harvey and a number of their children are buried in Springfield Monthly Meeting of Friends graveyard (Clinton County, Ohio).
goes that he went to Cincinnati, a journey of five days at that time, two to travel to and two to travel back and one day to do business, to buy supplies for his dry goods store. The merchant asked him where to send his supplies. He responded that it was just a little spot, a “burg“, in the woods above Caesar’s Creek, a tributary of the Little Miami River. The merchant addressed the supplies to “Harveysburg”.
“This is the township seat and principal village of the township. It is situated on the east bank of Caesar’s Creek, at an elevation of over 100 feet above the level of the stream. The land on which it now stands was entered by Colonel Abraham Buford, August 6, 1787. It was afterward owned by Rhoden Ham, who located on it in March 1815.William Harvey, after whom the town was named, became the proprietor in 1827. He platted and laid out the town in 1828, and recorded the plat on the 8th of January 1829. According to this plat, the town lay along the State road and contained forty-seven lots, numbered consecutively from number one to forty-seven. There were twenty-five lots six poles wide by twelve poles long, seventeen lots six poles by six poles, two lots five and four-tenths by six poles, one lot three by ten poles, two large, irregular-shaped lots, and a church lot. The State road formed the principal street, and the road to Middletown the principal cross-street. There were also South Street, one cross street not named, and three cross alleys.